Brooklyn rap veteran, Shabaam Sahdeeq , is pleased to present his latest work, Modern Artillery; seven track's worth of straight-up Hip-Hop from a cat who’s perpetually making waves in the underground. That goes for when he was running with Rawkus’ finest, dropping gems as part of Polyrhythm Addicts, and putting out critically acclaimed solo records like last year’s, Keepers of the Lost Art.
On Modern Artillery , Sahdeeq further cements his place in rap’s history with some Boom bap help from the gifted Amsterdam-based beatsmith, Big Ape, with cuts courtesy of Sweden’s, DJ Devastate . And a large portion of the project was recorded out in Amsterdam while the rapper was touring Europe in 2012, which also inspired the project’s name. “I realized I was using my art as a weapon,” he said. “Peep the hidden message in the title: Modern ART-ill-ery.”
The EP also boasts the likes of Outerspace, Ruste Juxx, Reef the Lost Cauze, Torae, 8thw1, and the late, PH (PumpkinHead). Those last three actually show up on the closing track, “Men of Respect,” an ill posse cut that concludes the project with a commemorative feel. The release represents a collaboration with Dutch/Swedish label Elite Fleet Records, and it’s actually their debut project. Modern Artillery is now available through all major digital retailers, and a limited-edition tape version drops Oct. 17 on Cassette Store Day . A vinyl edition is in the works…stay tuned!
Help support this campaign. Please copy, paste, tweet:
RT @ShabaamSahdeeq prepares for war on his latest EP, #ModernArtillery *Listen here: http://bit.ly/1K6Nz8U Purchase here: http://apple.co/1iYQsDw
01. D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. - Cuts DJ Devastate 02. Be About It (feat. Outerspace) 03. Gladiator School (feat. Ruste Juxx) - Cuts DJ Devastate 04. Get It - Cuts DJ Devastate TEAMBACKPACK.NET Premiere 05. Chance (feat. Reef the Lost Cauze) 06. All Over the World 07. Men of Respect (feat. PH, Torae, DJ Devastate & 8thW1) WatchLOUD Premiere
Let’s Go is a fresh, international Hip-Hop affair helmed by Sweden’s DJ Create, who enlisted the help of two European comrades (DJ Devastate and Koolade) and a pair of rap giants (Masta Ace and Rasco) to bring the whole thing together.
The Masta Ace-led title track kicks off the project, with the Brownsville native spitting laidback, sometimes-hilarious bars atop Create’s summery, piano-heavy instrumental. It all gets flipped on its head thanks to Sweden’s DJ Devastate, who blends Ace’s raps with pure funk straight outta the early ‘70s.
There’s an equally dope contrast presented on “Let ‘Em Know,” which features San Francisco’s own Rasco bringing that trademark West Coast confidence. While Create enriches the MC’s rhymes with keys, brass, and killer drums, Croatia’s Koolade takes Rasco’s rhymes straight through the gutter with snarling bass and haunting samples.
The Let’s Go EP is out now digitally through Threshold Recordings, in partnership with Elite Fleet Records, where both version of the EP's title track are available on 7-inch yellow vinyl, in limited quantities. As for that ill artwork that accompanies the release, it was handled by talented graphic designer Jonas Hilmersson, whose Instagram page is definitely worth a look.
Click here to stream "Show Stoppa (J57 Remix)" via AudioMack
Click here to stream "Show Stoppa (J57 Remix)" via SoundCloud
In lieu of the one year anniversary of Coalmine Records' decennary compilation album, Unearthed, mixed by DJ Revolution, the Brooklyn-based indie is pleased to present the J57 Remix of the El Da Sensei featured favorite, "Show Stoppa," which boasts Sweden's DJ Devastate and Young Pacino on the hook duties, over J's head nodding remix. To further celebrate the milestone, Coalmine's pleased to release a limited edition run of Unearthed on cassette. Dubbed the 'Green Slimes' for being pressed on green shells, the hour long mix serves as a who's who of today's independent Hip-Hop scene, packed with features from both veteran and burgeoning emcees such as Pharoahe Monch, Kool G Rap, Large Professor, The Artifacts, Blu, Sean Price, Billy Danze (of M.O.P.), Big Noyd, One Dae, Skillz, Guilty Simpson, Rah DIgga, Maffew Ragazino, El Da Sensei, and Fashawn, among others. Producers tapped include Diamond D, Nottz, Ayatollah, Marco Polo, Khrysis, along with the Grammy Award Winning, M-Phazes, among others.
RT @j57 remixes @eldasensei's "Show Stoppa" (f/ @djdevastate) in promotion of the one year anniversary of #Unearthed: http://bit.ly/1PiR0C8
Unearthed & Remineded Are Now Available On Cassette!
Click here to purchase 'Unearthed' on Cassette
• "Coalmine Records have been keeping Hip-Hop alive for 10 years with their bombastic sounds, and this compilation only adds fuel to that fire. This is an instant classic for any real Hip-Hop head. Be careful while listening, you might break your neck."-Mass Appeal
• "'Unearthed' is a fitting update on the label's fabled formula."-SPIN
• "This compilation is a party, it's a good time, it's just really solid, track-for-track-for track, really badass, teeth gnashed, hard-nosed, Boom bap Hip-Hop."_ -Anthony Fantano, The Needle Drop
• "A formidable drop from a hip-hop preservationist’s kind of label."-Okayplayer
• "In celebration of a decade in the game, Coalmine has released Unearthed...mixed by the dextrous hands of DJ Revolution and acts as the label's vital Soundbombing moment."-Village Voice
Remineded: A Collection of New & Old Remixes
Click here to purchase 'Remineded' on Cassette
After initially being released on January 20th, we're pleased to offer our ten track remix compilation, Remineded: A Collection of New & Old Remixes, on cassette. Pressed in limited quantities, Remineded, offers a new spin to our decade deep history, boasting remixes from Hip-Hop's most coveted acts, including Q-Borough's emcee, and famed Golden Era producer, Large Professor, D.I.T.C.'s Diamond D, Spanish heavyweights Cookin' Soul, the Grammy Award Winning M-Phazes, and Brown Bag All Stars' rapper and producer, The Audible Doctor, amongst others.
• "Coalmine Records loves a remix. The Brooklyn, New York-based independent label mined their catalog, including joints from Blu, Heltah Skeltah, El Da Sensei, Guilty Simpson, Kool G Rap, Royce Da 5’9″, Skillz, and more, and issued up some new remixes."-Ambrosia for Heads
• "You can hear golden-era cats like Heltah Skeltah, Kool G Rap, Big Noyd, Diamond D, Large Professor, and M.O.P.’s Billy Danze, as well as some of hip-hop’s new blood, like Blu, who kills “Kiss the Sky,” remixed by none other than Large Pro himself."-Wax Poetics
• "The aptly titled project revives a number of both old and new hits throughout the label's legacy for a proper reexamination."-Earmilk
• "The real question is simple; does this comp revitalize Coalmine standards with fresh perspective in production. Hell yeah, it does."-New Noise Magazine
Dynamic Danish duo "SCHMUGS" launches crowdfunding campaign to release debut album "Quit Talkin'" on vinyl.
Context is one of the illest producers in Europe if you ask me. His work on the “Nobody Beats The Beats”, “Boulevard Connection” projects and countless classic vinyl releases really inspired me to start producing. I had the privilege to get some exclusive tracks from him to use on the latest Counterweight Records mixtape for Carhartt Radio. Those were some real dynamite beats so make sure to check em out.
Right now Context is launching a crowdfunding campaign to get his new album “Quit Talkin’” out on vinyl. The group is called “SCHMUGS” and consists of Context and turntable wizard DJ Scratch Magic. Both crate diggers from the city of Copenhagen. Context told me the duo hooked up and quickly realised that they shared the same passion for beat making, Boom bap and gritty beats. Context jumped in the booth, Scratch Magic got behind the decks and shortly after that the duo had produced a full length album with sound resonating from the mid 90s golden era of Hip Hop. Right now they are trying to get the album “Quit Talkin’” out on the dopest format out there, vinyl. The music is stupid ill, so make sure to support it, I know I will! More about the project below. Enjoy real music straight from Copenhagen.
Some final words from “SCHMUGS” regarding the project:
“All donations will be rewarded with an invitation to our release party where of course we will do a live show with nodding necks to follow. Thank you for your support. - Boom bap will be here forever.”